Monday, September 1, 2008

Bringing Week One to an End.



I am happy to report that I have successfully survived a week (and a few days) of living on my own. During this week I have learned a few vital facts of life. Number one being that grocery shopping is NOT as fun as it seems. Sure it looks pretty fun going to the store and buying all the delicious food that you want. WRONG. In fact it is quite depressing trying to buy groceries for the week with a job that pays 6.55 an hour. The second thing that I have come to realize is that people enjoy venting their woes to cashiers at grocery stores. Also, people enjoy complaining about grocery prices to cashiers even though we have no control whatsoever on how much something costs. Another thing that my eyes have been open to is how sad being a cashier at a grocery store can be. It breaks my heart when someone comes in with their food stamp card and they don't have enough on it and I have to be the one to tell them that they exceeded their balance and have to put their food back. I have been so tempted many times to just pull out my debit card and pay the difference. I realize now how lucky I am to have money to pay for food and other things that aren't exactly necessary. The last thing that I will share is how much I have come to love the small town atmosphere. I am determined to raise my family in Manti now. I want to be able to bring my family to all the town activities and not have to worry every second that my child is in danger when I let them out of the house. There is such a sense of security here that I never felt in my hometown of Chandler. The only thing holding me back is convincing the person I marry to pack up and move here with me. The pictures that I posted with this help sum up this first week of living on my own. Enjoy my dears.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hahahahahaha. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww. This is gross. Thank you so much! You don't have cute little Benton to take messy pictures of but... thats why you have ME! Im basically 2 years old.

Adam and Jessica Cooley said...

Jack...you are just growing up too fast! I'm so glad you are having these experiences to open your eyes to what the world really is about, and what your future holds! Yes playing house is all fun and games, but when you actually have to do it...it's not the same! There are still so many joys that take the place of "pretend"...two being an eternal companion and best friend and the other sweet spirits to bless your life and teach you how to be like Christ. It breaks my heart to hear of suffering as well...just remember that while you might not have much to give whatever you give will be rewarded with many blessings. Remember the widow's might...never hesitate to serve, but also do so with some prudence. Know that the Lord has promised to bless you in abundance if you serve and do so without reward or recognition. THis is especially true in the Fast Offerings you give. Double the offerings really does equal infinite more blessings. It always seems like we don't have more to give, but when we do give more, we NEVER fall short! We all love you so much and wish we could pick up and join you! Keep soaking in these experiences and don't let any pass you by!!